I thought it was great! I introduced myself, repeated it creole. I shared class rules, repeated it in creole. I went around the room and had them introduce themselves. Then I said I was going to teach the alphabet...start at the very beginning right. Well guess what, they already know the alphabet, the alphabet song and how to write the alphabet...such scholars these kids are! So I just moved onto games, what can be more fun than games? We played three rounds of an alphabet writing relay game. It was Team Justin Bieber against Team Beyonce! Each team won once and then they tied. I even mixed up the game and they wrote the alphabet backwards. I think they had a good time, the game had them clamoring to come up to the board and finish quickly. All kids like to win!
Next week I am teaching words that begin with A, B, and C and some common introductions. I have to find some fun games to make sure I am considered the most fun teacher on campus!
These kids and the school are really what's getting me through the days here. They are innocent, sweet and loving. They play hard and want to learn. They relied on my to be in control of the class and teach them.
Sometimes I am very homesick and lonely. I miss being social! California Pizza Kitchen, road-trips, hanging out with a friend to have a glass of wine, sitting on the couch on a Sunday afternoon watching TV with someone special just relaxing. Some of the things I miss are simple like seeing someone's smile. Some things are more complex like worshiping in my home church where I see familiar faces every Sunday and Tuesday nights.
I got an email from a friend (which I was so glad to hear from) today who has been kind of down, she asked if I would pray for her so that she would know God was ALWAYS in control. I think we all need that prayer! She is going through this rough patch so that she can give everything to God and he can calm her heart. I am in Haiti because God has control of my life. I let him know "Hey, you got me, you know what you are doing!" But, man, sometimes when I am lonely or miss home it's hard to remember that I need to be just like the kids in my class: hard-workers, loving, faithful, and willing to be taught and led!
The Lord says, "I will guide you along the best pathway for your life.
I will advise you and watch over you."
Psalm 32:8


Katie! I don't know if you remember me, but we were STARS together :)
ReplyDeleteI stumbled on your blog from FB and just want you to know that I am inspired by your faith and so thrilled about the work you're doing in Haiti!
Blessings on your journey!
Thanks Emily, of course I remember!
DeleteKatie you are doing an awesome job there! I can only imagine how hard it is for you sometimes, I had a really hard time and I was only there for 10 days. And look at you, you were hesitant to help co-teach one of the classes when we were there and now you're a teacher with your very own lessons! Keep up the great work! I think of you often, if you need/want anything let me know, I'd be happy to send you a care package anytime, don't be afraid to ask. Hang in there & keep up the great work. Someday when I grow up I hope to be as brave as you are.
ReplyDeleteThanks Karen...when are you coming back!
DeleteWhat a good teacher! You're doing a great job with the kids, but an even better job teaching those who read this blog. I too have struggled with my recent move and adjustment. I know God is in control, but it's definitely good to be reminded of that especially through your stories!
ReplyDeleteMuch love!
Come teach class with me! Thinking about this as a future job...we will see!
Deletekaiti -- i just wanted to say how much i'm enjoying your blog and what great work you're doing. those kids will never, ever forget you! -- bill trott
ReplyDeleteThanks Bill! Love the shortened Kaiti.
DeleteKatie - Your mom and I went to school together. She and I have talked about your move to Haiti. I have been praying for you for several months now, honestly hoping for your mom's sake, you would not decide to go. However, I knew all along you would go, because it was God's call for you to do this. I know at times you are homesick, but when you moved to Tennessee, I am sure you were homesick there. You managed to get through it and you will in Haiti also. It is just going to be more difficult in Haiti, as you do not have the things we normally take for granted. You will make it though, because you are strong and determined and you know the Haitians need you. You are doing such an awesome job doing the Lord's work in Haiti! It shows in the precious faces of the children in the pictures. There are lots of people praying for you and we are all so very excited and proud of you! If you need anything, please do not hesitate to ask. I will do what I can. --- Leigh Pate
ReplyDeleteThanks for your sweet words Leigh! It means a lot to have so many people praying for me! And thanks for being there for my Mom too!
Delete