I have always owned a pet: Heidi, Pepper, Ruffles, Molly, Karlie and even Little Chick in Haiti. Pets are loving and sweet, make you feel at home when you aren't at home, fill the sometimes lonely void you have when you can't be with friends and family. Karlie, is no different, she has been my roommate for the last 8 years. She is sometimes bad, like unrolling an entire roll of toilet paper and eating it, or really sweet, like when she sits on my lap and can only stare at me. She has been someone I can talk to when I am home with no fun social activities, cuddle with when I am sad, or just sit with and watch tv. She is a comfort and a friend.
When I first decided that I needed to think more seriously about coming to Haiti, I remember my Dad asking me what he could do to help with the decision making process. I told him, find a way for me to take Karlie with me. I was convinced the dog would be going with me, I have not been away from her longer than a few months and I knew I would need her to come home to. My Dad said that was not possible. I cried and cried, she was the one thing I did not want to leave behind the most. It's weird how we become so devoted to our pets and they become so trusting of us.
I recently found a baby chick in our yard. It was maybe a day old, weak and scared. I ran all over the yard making a fool of myself trying to catch it. I had already done some research about owning a chicken because I thought it would be great to have an egglayer and a sustainable pet that I could pass on to someone when I left for their use. I finally cornered it in a bucket and a card board box. Much to Jeanette's dismay (she thought it was cute, but she's not really into pets) I brought it upstairs, made a little home for it and started to feed it. Chicks will "imprint" on the first thing that cares for them, meaning they think it's their momma. Little chick definitely thought I was it's momma! It followed me around the house, peeping as loud as it could to make sure I knew it was there. It cuddled in my hand when it was sleepy, falling asleep quickly when it felt safe. When I wasn't holding it, it would rest top of my foot just to be touching me. I quickly grew to love it, very excited I would have a pet in Haiti that would feel some of the void I had for missing Karlie.
As much as I loved Little Chick and doted on it, I couldn't protect it all day long. I had to leave it alone and hope I would come home to a safe chick every night. Yesterday was not the case. Little Chick drowned in a small puddle because its little feeder fell and trapped it. I am heartbroken!
Pets are different here in Haiti. Not many people have them. There are dogs all over the streets that sometimes are able to avoid cars, sometimes are able to get a meal, and sometimes are able to find a safe place to rest where they won't be kicked or hit with a rock. Life is hard for a dog, cat, goat, chicken, cow, or pig. Most of the farm animals are free-range, as in allowed to wonder whatever street they want. When driving, we sometimes have to stop for a crossing goat, chicken or cow. Owners know which one is their's by the rope on it or some other marking. People don't take each other's animals because they believe they will be cursed and turn into that animal, so owners are able to have no worries about letting the animals roam. I have had the hardest time seeing the dogs. They are all thin, you can see their hip and rib bones easily. It's heart-wrenching and you want to save and feed everyone. For awhile we had a dog lay around on our street he looked so sad and sickly. We don't see her anymore. I pray she didn't suffer.
I hope that I can heal soon, but I miss Little Chick dearly. I can't imagine if I have to face this one day with Karlie. Sweet Karlie who I am missing an entire year with.
RC Pictures-School with Vanessa
1 day ago


I know exactly how you feel about missing people, animals, and places from back home. And your mention of pet culture as well as the overflow of scrawny stray cats and dogs is a similar story to life here in Sri Lanka.
ReplyDelete