Friday, February 10, 2012

I actually do work here!

My official title at CONASPEH is the Co-Administrator for the Ferdinand Garcia Transformation Center (FGTC). 

The FGTC will serve as: 
  • A guesthouse to travelers from Global Ministries People-to-People Pilgrimages
  • Haitians traveling to Port-au-Prince for meetings or training opportunities at CONASPEH
  • A small conference center for large meetings that the CONASPEH headquarters can not accomodate
  • An opportunity for travelers to learn about Haitian culture and have a spiritual awakening
It may look like all I do is play with kids, which by the way is awesome (today, some of the girls from my English class came up to me and bragged about the words and letters they were learning....ADORABLE)! I have actually been able to research several guesthouses around Port-au-Prince to get a feel of how they operate, receive guests and how businesses run in Haiti. This will help me to write a formal business plan (charts, graphs, demographics, market analysis, etc.) and a much more casual Haitian one (basically yes, we will do it and this is what it looks like). The formal plan will take at least 3 weeks to finish with my exhaustive schedule of playing with pitit timoun (little kids), but the Haitian plan will probably take an hour. Both are required of course...I am a professional after all.

Today, Patrick Villier took some of the pastors on the FGTC committee and myself to a potential location for the guesthouse. I drove, so of course I impressed them with my expert Haitian driving skills and avoided at least 5 holes, while driving at top speed over 4 more. I did avoid pedestrians, so that's always a win. This location is about 15 minutes from CONASPEH and 30 minutes from the airport down Route National 1. If you travel for about 30 more minutes you get to the beach! The land is fairly sparse, but can you imagine a brightly colored wall with mango, coconut and avocado trees inside? May be some bougainvillea and Haitian cherries? The completed guesthouse will potentially hold 50-60 people (5-6 people per room), have a nice kitchen, dining and living space, a bathroom in every room and a very large outdoor meeting space for 500 or more. I am really crossing my fingers for a pool! Can someone send me a floatie, because that's where I will be every Sunday afternoon after church! 
CONASPEH will only purchase 2-3 acres of this land

Our across the street neighbors. Do you see the little blue and white dots? These are tents! The government has been giving away small parcels of land to families that lost their home's in the earthquake. Many of these families immediately move to the land with hopes of building a house in the future. Its a really neat area and is hopefully bringing lots of hope to families as they rebuild. 

5 comments:

  1. I must not have asked very many questions, but I had no idea you were going to be there for the building and planning stages of FGTC! I guess I thought it was a rebuild and fix from pre-earthquake. Gosh--I have so much to learn! What is the timeline to start construction? Get to work :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um...Haiti doesn't really work on a timeline. It was initially going to be renting an existing house, but none can be found so they decided to purchase land. Basically, it will begin when funding is available.

      Delete
  2. Katie--

    Nice to hear how things have been going for you since the November meeting in Cleveland that you and I were both at. Felix and a number of other board members were part of a pilgrimage delegation back in December, and we got to visit CONASPEH, House of Hope, and a number of rural churches. Your pix conjure up many memories of that momentous, deeply moving trip. We even got to see you and Jeanette's apartment briefly. Best of luck to you and her both in the months to come. Your Global Ministries family have you in our thoughts and prayers.

    Peace,
    Bing Tso

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Bing for your prayers and reading the blog. I am so glad you enjoyed your visit to Haiti and I hope it inspires you to come back one day. It was such a pleasure to get to know the board a little bit in November and to know that we are supported by you all!

      Delete
  3. Katie it is just amazing- you are a very special young woman. If you ever need anything or if I can assist you in any way let me know. I am priveleged to have worked with you..hug all those little ones tightly. Connie

    ReplyDelete