Thursday, January 26, 2012

Poverty and Prematurity SUCK!

I was going to write tonight about how much I love the kindergarten children I get to play with every day. I was going to show you pictures of how cute and eager to talk they are. That will have to wait for another day.

A deme, si bondye vle.
Tomorrow, if God is willing. 

I had a good day today; I felt confident when driving, I had a great conversation with Veniel the manager at the guest house where the group from Woodmont stayed two years ago and I got to play with kids and love on them!

I had a good day, till I was brought back to the reality of Haiti and the 
reality of being born to soon and too small!

When I worked at the March of Dimes, I heard so many stories that brought hope and joy. Ellie and Wilson are big and strong because of surfactant. Becca is growing taller every day. I heard stories of sadness and loss too, babies born way too early to survive even in the care of the some of the most talented doctors in nurses at Nashville's hospitals. I was able to visit the NICU, just to see babies fighting and working so hard to make it. I have even had a close family friend pass away shortly after childbirth; mother's still don't have it easy. All this to say, because of the March of Dimes maternal and child health will always be close to my heart. 

I read a lot of other blogs here in Haiti, partially to keep me entertained and partially to keep me informed. Its the best source of news and sometimes my only connection to other Americans. I don't know these people, I have never been to the organizations where they work, but reading their blog has somehow made me feel connected. Real Hope for Haiti has been in Cazale, Haiti for awhile and I have read their blog ever since the earthquake. They do amazing things to fight kwashiorkor (wet malnutrition), cholera, and other diseases and injuries which malnourished peoples are vulnerable to. I became more closely connected to Real Hope when I met a girl named Brandy at Mike's work holiday party. Brandy has been working hard in the States to help Real Hope through fundraisers and awareness. Long story short, Caroline D. from Woodmont Christian (my church) organized a birthing kit drive through our youth group to send to Real Hope. I was excited, this would give the kids from my youth group something tangible to do and I was able to make a new connection for Brandy and Real Hope. 

Yesterday, I posted on facebook about a 2 lbs. 14 oz little girl who was fighting hard to survive her early birth. I prayed, but not enough. I shared with you all, but not enough. There must have been something else I could have done because she did not survive. I saw Real Hope's blog post and just teared up, how could I have had a joyful day when a baby could not survive. A baby I didn't know, a family I have no connection with. Please keep this family in your prayers, and please keep Real Hope for Haiti in your prayers as well. I can't imagine what it is like to deal with the harsh realities of kwashiorkor, prematurity and cholera everyday. 

However, there are babies and families I do know and love. I am so grateful to have those little sweet children in my life. The March of Dimes March for Babies is coming up in April, I hope that you will consider making a donation to help all babies grow up stronger and healthier. The March of Dimes may be an organization in the US, but any research that they fund and any cure that they find will surely help all babies, everywhere. 

For more information on the March of Dimes click here
For more information on Real Hope for Haiti click here




No comments:

Post a Comment