Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Well I am here! My first night in Haiti was a little overwhelming, I got off the plane and wanted to immediately turn around and sit back down for the return flight. However, God answered my prayers and sent a group from Knoxville to guide me through baggage claim and the process to get outside. They are amazing and are doing some amazing things here in Haiti. Many of the families were on the trip to visit with their adoptive children. They are the middle of the adoption process, but you could tell they were certainly very well loved and a part of their families. Pray that their process will be shortened! Patrick, the founder of CONASPEH (where I will be working) picked me up and we took the quick ride to my new apartment. Below are some pictures of my journey and my apartment. 

Last big burger, fries and a Diet Coke! YUM Delicious!
There's the plane, it may have been the runner-up because the first decided to stop working but it got us to Haiti. I met this great group from Knoxville while we waited 7 hours and they helped me every step of the way when we got off the plane. The Toussaint Louverture International can be a bit daunting and they were so sweet to even include me in their head count. From previous trips, no I am not an adult or child I am just Katie-(Emmie and Sandy!) 
My Room, a little messy. Mom, I promise its clean now! The bed is made in this picture though. Also, notice the beautifully crafted bookshelves. There is a nice built-in wardrobe too, just need some hangers. Now where does one purchase hangers in Haiti!?  
My fancy-smancy, sort-a-girly mosquito net. I hung it all by myself, with just a wobbly chair on top of the mattress. Thanks Dad for the command strips, not a chance I could screw anything into these cement walls. 

My pretty view! A mango and avocado tree, yes I will be eating plenty of that later this year. 

Roger and Javiar having a little rest in a cool, wet place. 

Let me just say...Javiar started it! 
Sadly, I didn't realize I had my camera in my bag today. But let me just tell you there is a lot to see. Much of the rubble has been broken into small pieces but there is a long way to go before it is cleared and new buildings/homes are built in its place. Tents are still everywhere, even across the street and next to my apartment. Right now its 70 degrees and breezy, nice for camping. However, I can't imagine what it would be like in 90+ heat with 100% humidity.

Continue to keep Haiti in your prayers!




4 comments:

  1. Katie - just love seeing pictures... takes me back to our little room in Guatemala... know I am with you in prayer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this, and the pics. Please keep the blog going! It feels like such a good way of connecting with your experience. Sending you love and prayers every single day. xo Tallu

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um, not so sure I approve your of your new guy friends...but at least they seem to know their place?!

    I think your apt looks great! Can't wait to see the living areas and your office. Could we see pics of the front too?

    Love, love, love that the K-ville team watched over you Anyone I know??

    Thanks for the update!
    Ash

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Katie! I tried to send you a message last night from Chip's iPad but think I accidentally sent it to someone else. Oops!! ;-) Was just telling you how much I missed you already from looking at your room pics. And, like Ashley, I am SO thankful that you met up with that great group from Knoxville! Fate is smiling on you already down there. ;-) Looking forward to seeing more pics and keeping up with all of your adventures! If you can get your skype hooked up, let me know! Love you and miss you!!!

    ReplyDelete