This is the day, this is the day.
That the Lord has made, that the Lord has made.
We will rejoice, we will rejoice,
And be glad in it, and be glad in it.
This is the day that the Lord has made.
We will rejoice and be glad in it.This is the day, this is the day
That the Lord has made
Today I sung along to that song in a moving memorial service at a church in Cite Soleil. I even had to share a few words along with two brothers from Canada who lost their mother, the head of a nurses group, at Walls during the earthquake.
Today was a hard day for me, as I know it must have been for so many Haitians, Americans, Canadians and many others that were here during the earthquake. I was especially thinking about Glen Stewart, Stephanie and Jeremiah Weeden-Wright, Sara Kate Allen, Trey Flowers and Deb and Steve Laforge. We were together through it all and that was a blessing. I wish you could have been here today to share the experience. One moment you are developing escapes routes from potential falling buildings to laughing at lunch with a son who lost his mother as he recalls a memory. Clapping and dancing at church, praising God all made the day seem hopeful and a turning point. Today, should not be a sad day. It is a day for rejoicing! A day that will always be remembered as a tragedy, but a day when so many that God gave us as temporary gifts were able to go back to Heaven.
Isaiah 43:2-3
When you go through deep waters, I will be with you. When you go through rivers of difficulty, you will not drown. When you walk through the fire of oppression, you will not burn up; the flames will not consume you. For I am the Lord, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Saviour.
Matthew 5:3-6
Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.
Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.
THEN AND NOW
I have been fortunate enough to visit many of the places that I visited before the earthquake. Some, like the church are hopeful. Some, like the tents around the Bicentennial Monument want the Lord to speed up the recovery process.
| Sweet and Faithful Cite Soleil Church 1/10 |
![]() |
| Cite Soleil Church 1/12/12 New roof and lots of fun new musical instruments inside! |
![]() |
| Walls Guest House, the center house 1/12/12 |
![]() |
| The group upon arriving at Walls Guest House 1/10 |
![]() |
| Monument surrounded by tents 1/12/12 |
![]() |
| Bicentennial Monument across from the capital 1/10 |
![]() |
| Largest Catholic Cathedral 1/10 |
![]() |
| Catholic Cathedral 1/12 |
(For more information on Cite check out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cité_Soleil)









Such striking photos Katie! Prayers of strength for you and for Haiti. Prayers of strength also for all of us to continue to address the injustice and heartache in the world.
ReplyDeleteWOW! That's all I can say. So glad you are their to learn and grow and give.
ReplyDelete