Monday, March 5, 2012

Espwa Fè Viv – Hope Makes Us Live

About this time disciples came to Jesus and asked him who would be the greatest in the kingdom of Heaven. Jesus called a child over and had the child stand near him. 
Then he said: I promise you this. 
If you don’t change and become like a child, you will never get into the kingdom of heaven. 
But if you are as humble as this child you are the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. 
And when you welcome one of these children because of me, you welcome me.
Matthew18:1-5


One of the very special things that I do every day at CONASPEH is something that is not really a part of my job. I have been in Creole lessons trying to learn the language, but really it’s easier just to be immersed in the language and forced to speak it. I had a great idea, I will go sit in the kindergarten class and start from the beginning. On the first day I sat in class, I witnessed the most precious prayer:

Mèsi seyè Jezi pou manje ou ba nou. Ban nou bon apeti e bay moun ki pa genyen yo. Beni moun ki prepare’l la. Amèn.

Thank you Jesus for the food you give us. Give us a good appetite and give to those who do not have any. Bless the people who prepared this. Amen.

Although they have very little, they thanked God for what they were given and asked that He would feed the hungry in Haiti. This humble desire for God’s presence in their lives and their amazing faith that He will provide was one of many moments I felt close to the kingdom of heaven.  

After about a week I decided it would be best if I just played with the kids when their class was over. I didn’t fit in the chairs and I am a huge distraction to the kids, but I learned their names and started to develop friendships. They needed to learn in class, not play. So, everyday at noon I walk down to one of the tents where they hold class and visit with the kids. Maritza is kind of sassy. Toni Junior has beautiful eyelashes and a sweet smile. Bennet, the baby of the group, could giggle till your heart melted. Shamala has the cutest little smirk when she is about to do something that will surely get her in trouble. Esther is my sweet friend who talks to me even though she knows I don't understand and loves a good hug. And Vaduka is a very smart little boy that teaches me a new word every day. He is very good about pointing to something and saying what it is or slowly pronouncing a word so that I understand and say it correctly. He forgives me quickly when I say his name wrong or say the wrong word for chalkboard or chair. At 5 he is already a good teacher.

Lent has always been a time of sacrifice and renewal for me. It is a time I can shed a poor habit or add a new one that will glorify God. This year I hope to become more childlike and see God’s kingdom in Haiti and around me!  

1 comment:

  1. Beautifully written and great points. I hope to become more childlike and see God's Kingdom around me. Love you sweet girl! Keep doing his work.

    ReplyDelete