Friday, November 18, 2011

Please let me go to Haiti or Presentation to the Global Minisitries Board

I thought it was moving....what do you think?
......................................................................................................................
My faith has strengthened in so many ways I never thought possible over the past eighteen months. On January 10th, I remember sitting at the front of a Haitian church thinking I could never have this kind of faith. The kind of faith that you want to sing loud enough for God to rejoice in your words, loud enough so  that just maybe one person not in church could hear your voice and know how much you love God. I barely understood a word of that church service, but knew that their faith, hope, and love were like nothing I have ever seen.

On January 12th right after the earthquake shook Haiti to its knees, I saw a woman bloody from an injury to her face praising Jesus. “Mesi Jezi” she shouted. I felt miniscule, lost, and unfaithful. During that night I sung along with a group not far from our guesthouse singing “I Surrender All”, they in Creole, me in English. It was humbling to say the least. Thoughts about life, death, hurt and pain kept running through my head with each aftershock. But the feeling of solidarity took shape right then, when I could hear a tune and sing along I knew that God was with us all and we were forced into surrendering control, worldly possessions, and to some, loved ones.

One of my favorite songs, “Wait and See” by Brandon Heath, kept popping up in my mind:
There is hope for me yet
Because God won’t forget
All the plans he’s made for me
I have to wait and see
He’s not finished with me yet
Still wondering why I’m here
Still wrestling with my fear
But oh, He’s up to something
And the farther on I go
I’ve seen enough to know
That I’m, not here for nothing
He’s up to something

God is up to something in my life, He has a plan. Jeremiah 29:11 from The Message Bible says: I know what I'm doing. I have it all planned out—plans to take care of you, not abandon you, plans to give you the future you hope for.
 I came back to Tennessee with so many thoughts about faith and how much I needed to grow. I knew that God was there, God was in the healing.

I look at this opportunity as a spring-board for the action I wish to take in my life and what can be done in Haiti. When I spoke to Felix Ortiz at General Assembly about the new job that they were looking for at CONASPEH, I knew it was the right fit for me. Assisting at the CONASPEH guest house and assisting Haitians and Americans travel in and around Haiti  that falls directly in line my previous career, as a catering manager at a large hotel. I can make a difference by allowing CONASPEH to focus on the jobs that they are best at, healing the sick, teaching new ministers and nurses, and working with establishing churches and schools

I have been a Christian my entire life; baptized not long after I was born, confirmed in the Methodist church in the 6th grade, and joined Woodmont Christian church the Sunday after our return to Nashville from Haiti. Along with Haiti my faith was shaken and given a new life. I want to serve in Haiti because I want to share what God has given me; a plan, a path and the love and hope to know what He is like. I want to serve with His hands and follow in His Son’s footsteps. When making this decision I realized God's plan for my life was like the old hymn: 

I surrender all,
I surrender all,
all to thee, my blessed Savior,
I surrender all.







No comments:

Post a Comment