9/8/11
And it begins! Yes, I really am going to Haiti...Port au Prince to be exact. I am writing this in segments as I am returning home to Nashville from my final interview. You will be seeing this after many arrangements and notifications have been made. I am writing this in a couple of settings 1)because at this time I have not told the March of Dimes and 2)because I want you to fully see my discernment and emotions as I go through this process. As you may realize this is a huge decision for me. The interview was tough for me! But I made it through and decided that moving to Haiti is my calling!
So anyway, the interview...the Global Ministiries people know what they are doing. I had no idea what to expect, but I felt comforted that all the right questions we're asked. They made me think about how I felt about mission work, social justice and liberation theology. By the way, I have a lot to learn! I realized that I don't have all the answers. I just know what God has called me to do.
9/20/11
As this process unfolds, I also have to deal with the emotions of friends and most importantly my parents. Friends... You all are amazing! I know you are scared for me; which I appreciate. I am so glad you are excited for me and I truly hope you will visit if you are able. I want you to know why Haiti is so important to me. It's not just because there was an earthquake; it's because the people are sweet and giving. I want to give what I received back with so much more! Please pray for me as I prepare, as I begin to understand what this means and as I go through the process of leaving a place I love. I will keep you in my prayers too!
Peg and Randy, I love you! I know you don't understand and I know you are proud of me. Its confusing, frustrating, and scary all at the same time. No, I don't understand what you are going through. One day, I hope to be a mom and really get it, but until that day comes please just always keep me in your thoughts and prayers (not like I doubted that would happen, but just had to say it). You are my mom and dad, I am going to miss you immensely, I really hope we can talk every day. I am going to need your love and support constantly....constantly!
9/21/11
Today I told my new supervisor at work, I truly think I shocked her. Bless her heart, I know she needed to process. I really respect the March of Dimes and all they have done for me over the past year and all they have done for the families who have been effected by prematurity, birth defects and infant mortality. I am inspired daily by families who are passionate about the mission and the dedication that they have to their children. The March of Dimes also inspires me to bring awareness for women's health and prenatal care to Haiti. I hope that I will be able to bring some information with me and affect some families in Haiti too.
10/30
Some time has passed. I have been to a conference in Indianapolis about mission work and still have no idea what I am doing with my house. Sometimes I think it would be much less stressful to just drop everything and go! But alas, I am still here and making plans. I get to do some more fun travel over the next few weekends. Atlanta, Cleveland and Gatlinburg. It seems like leaving allows me do more fun stuff in a shorter amount of time.
11/4
It's my birthday! Party, Party! Thanks to Ashley K. for making it so special in the Hot ATL. Made me forget all about the stress of moving.
11/17
Today is the day I post this ridiculously long blog! I promise they will be shorter in the future.
This past weekend I was made official by the Global Ministries Board in Cleveland. Before I could officially be appointed to Haiti as a Long Term Volunteer I made a presentation about why I wanted to serve in Haiti. I will save that for a later post, but let me just say public speaking is not my thing! I had some major nervous Elvis Presley lip going...not cute. I did get approved though!
So YAY, it's official I am moving to Haiti as the Consultant and Coordinator for the Ferdinand Garcia Transformation Center at CONASPEH!
RC Pictures-School with Vanessa
1 day ago


You were awesome at board meeting! So excited for you and inspired by you. Blessings, blessings, blessings! (Still hope to see you before you go - trying to get my calendar under control!)
ReplyDeletep.s. don't remember why I'm "Auntie Sarah" on Google but don't have the energy to fix it now... Sorry! :)
So excited your blog is up. I have it bookmarked and ready! Looking forward to hearing about Cleveland and Gatlinburg, plus will see you soon!!
ReplyDelete